Creative Concepts Looks at Social Media Demographics
A new extensive social demographics study from Pew Research Center and Docstoc illustrates social media behavior and platform usage. There are a few findings in line with previous studies as well as some new insights into social activity.
- Women use social media 9% more than men do, which is not a huge surprise based on past surveys (Thanks Pinterest!)
- The youngest age group (18-29) continues to dominate social media usage at 83% with Gen X and company in second place at 77%.
- 72% of adults with annual household incomes below $30,000 use social networks, more than any other income level.
- People living in the city are the highest users of social media at 70%, perhaps because of digital connectivity in fast paced city life.
- Hispanics lead the way for social usage by race at 72% followed by African-Americans and Caucasians.
- Facebook reigns supreme as the most popular social network with 67% of adults using the platform. It was surprising that YouTube and Google+ were not included in this study.
There also appears to be an upward trend in middle-aged social media users showing 4% growth while the other groups have dropped.
For more social media demographics, including which social media sites attract specific demographics, see the infographic from Pew Research Center and Docstoc:
Image courtesy of Vlado / FreeDigitalPhotos.net