Creative Concepts Discusses Public Relations Tips for Brands and Small Businesses
Businesses face many challenges while building, supporting and marketing a product or service. In the face of major competition, finding ways to stand out remains a priority. Getting publicity is one of those ways to stand out and set your business apart from the rest.
Media Leaders recently hosted a Google Plus hangout and asked PR professionals at over a dozen companies to share some of their best public relations tips that they use to get press for their company and/or clients.
Here is a summary of the public relations tips that were shared:
- Have a story to tell. Journalists are easier to reach these days but you still need to get their attention. Have a hook and tell your story.
- Focus on a small group of media outlets. Usually companies have a small pool of journalists who cover their industry. Create your hit list and get to know them. Read their blogs, follow them on social media. Become a source and offer help even if your company doesn’t directly benefit.
- Form an alliance with a technology partner. Sharing success stories with your technology partner can improve chances that your story is picked up. Show how you and the tech partner helped a business solve a problem. Share the story on both of your websites and through your channels.
- Ask for permission. One agency found success through asking permission to send pitches for start-up clients. Once they found out journalist preferences, they saw higher engagement and ultimately more success.
- Use LinkedIn InMails. If your company subscribes to LinkedIn, utilize the InMails to send a short pitch to your target media. Customize the pitch to that person. Don’t send all of the details – if they are interested, they will respond.
- Send mail. Since most people are online, there is less snail mail being sent. Try sending a pitch through the US mail.
- Use video. Share informational snippets and create a YouTube account. Use keywords in your description and send links in your email signature.
- Research incoming links. Find out who is linking to your website and your competitors’ websites by using a tool like Majestic SEO. Discover what your competitors are doing in PR and stay informed.
For more useful tips and a video highlight, check out “Getting Press 14 Public Relations Tips for Brands & Small Businesses.”
What tips do you have to share for getting press?
Image courtesy of Stuart Miles / FreeDigitalPhotos.net